Recently I came across an article on AIGA titled Make / Grow / Live by Jim Ward. Jim talks to the fact that even though he likes being an in-house designer, and has contributed a lot to his company, he’s “never been one to get completely comfortable with my surroundings.”
Jim states that if you’re an in-house designer, there are days where you might question the pros and cons of working in-house; however, Jim states that “honing your ability to constructively question your competencies and career path” can also help you think ahead and see the big picture. So, in refocusing his life, Jim started the following Make / Grow / Live process:
- Where do you find yourself?
- Where did you think you would be right now?
- Where would you like to be in the near future?
- Documentation is a visibly rewarding form of growth
- Learning keeps you sharp
- Go somewhere new
- Take up some sort of physical activity. Channel your energy
- Keep regular plans with friends
I would highly recommend checking out the article!